Tenure-Track Positions in Statistics available in the Department of Probability and Statistics, CIMAT, Guanajuato, Mexico
The Centro de Investigación en Matemáticas (CIMAT-CONACYT: https://www.cimat.mx/ or https://www.cimat.mx/en) in Guanajuato, GTO, Mexico, seeks applications from aspiring, highly motivated and talented individuals with a PhD, earned in the last fifteen years, in Statistics or a closely related discipline for two tenure-track research positions, to start any time between April and September 2023.
We are seeking applicants willing to play an active role in either enhancing or extending our current research, as well as maintaining the national and international reputation of our postgraduate programs. Applicants are expected to be working on modern research fields in statistics, one specifically, or within the intersection of complex data and/or massive data analyses, complex models, computer intensive methodologies, considering both theory and applications. Additionally, applicants working in the interface with Probability Theory are especially welcome.
The appointees should have a strong commitment to both research and teaching, and to interdisciplinary and consulting collaboration with the public or private sectors, having the support of CIMAT´s consulting team, and shall contribute to advancing the department’s competitive edge. They shall contribute to undergraduate and postgraduate programs by teaching one course per semester: (https://www.cimat.mx/oferta-educativa/).
CIMAT is part of the Mexican council for science and technology CONACyT (https://conacyt.mx/), and is composed of three departments; Mathematics, Probability and Statistics and Computer Sciences. The Probability and Statistics Department faculty in Guanajuato consists of nine researchers in the fields of Probability Theory and Stochastic Processes and eight researchers in Statistics and its applications. The Department provides an excellent environment for academic career development, including for early career researchers. We maintain fruitful cooperation with many prestigious institutions around the world and we constitute one of the most active and renowned research groups in Latin America. We also provide opportunities for mentorship, collaboration across disciplines and we are characterized by collegiality.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at CIMAT. We are committed to level opportunities for underrepresented groups, and in particular women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be considered for these positions:
- i) An academic career with scientific achievements in accordance with the length of time since doctoral graduation. Mexican residents must be members of the Sistema Nacional de Investigadores (SNI) or have the appropriate academic achievements to successfully participate in the next SNI call for enroll
- ii) Teaching experience in Statistics is desirable, in order to train students at undergraduate, masters and doctoral levels.
Knowledge of the Spanish language is not required for the first years. Review of applications will start on March 10th, 2023 and will continue until the positions are assigned. Applicants should submit the following documents addressed to Prof. Octavio Arizmendi, Chair of the Probability and Statistics Group, CIMAT, via email (to firstname.lastname@example.org) in a PDF format:
- Cover letter, mentioning a tentative date to join CIMAT.
- Updated full curriculum vitae.
- A brief description of current research interests.
- A research statement describing the applicant’s research goals for a period of two years.
- Electronic copies of the most relevant applicant’s research papers.
- At least two letters of recommendation sent directly to email@example.com